ABIGAIL MACK RESUME
CONSERVATOR OF OBJECTS AND SCULPTURE
Professional Associate of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works, member of ICOM-CC, INCCA, and IIC.
Experienced in: The Art Conservation treatment of fine art, outdoor, plus modern & contemporary sculpture. Conducting training workshops plus object specific surveys for loan, display or storage
Red Hook, NY MACK ART CONSERVATION AND MONUMENTA ART CONSERVATION & FINISHING LLC
2006 – present Principal and Objects Conservator
- Provide conservation treatment and preservation care consultation to artists, artist’s estates, private clients, historical entities, university and college museums, and museums.
- Member of the Advisory Board to the Calder Foundation. Consultant for the conservation of specific objects and to develop historically accurate matte coatings for repainting large-scale outdoor sculpture using high performance coatings.
- Member of the Advisory Counsel for the Lousie Nevelson Foundation.
- Contractor to Getty Conservation Institute as part of the Outdoor Painted Sculpture project to develop durable coatings for outdoor sculpture in collaboration with artists or artist’s estates.
- Co-Instructor for Getty Conservation Institute’s training workshop entitled Surface Treatment Strategies for Outdoor Painted Sculpture.
- Head Conservator for the Empire State Plaza Art Collection of indoor and outdoor sculpture in Albany, NY.
- Participant in study with the Tony Smith Estate to identify suitable paint and oiled coatings for outdoor sculpture.
- Member of the Federal General Services Administration National Peer Registry.
Washington, DC NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART
1999 – 2006 Associate Object Conservator
- Participated in all aspects of conservation for modern, traditional, and outdoor sculpture.
- Led a team of conservators on extensive treatments of monumental sized objects by artists such as Alexander Calder, Tony Smith, Henry Moore, and Isamu Noguchi. Extensive treatments on sculptures by artists such as Jean Houdon, Jean Guillaume Moitte, Antonio Canova, and Andrea del Verrocchio.
- Main research focus: Durability of commercial matte black outdoor paints through artificial aging and real-time aging. Developed new coatings through collaboration with the US Army Research Laboratory.
- Courier for NGA objects at national and international venues.
- Outstanding Service Awards: NGA Sculpture Garden Installation (May 1999), NGA Sculpture Galleries (September 2002) and treatment of Alexander Calder’s monumental mobile Untitled.
Accord, NY MACK ART CONSERVATION
1996 – 1998 Objects Conservator
- SUNY New Paltz – taught the conservation component of a Museum Studies course.
- Contract Conservator for Brooklyn Museum of Art.
Denver, CO ROCKY MOUNTAIN CONSERVATION CENTER
1995 – 1996 Head of Object Conservation
- Responsible for all aspects of conservation including treatments and supervision of technicians.
- Conducted object-specific and general surveys and training workshops for museums in the region.
– General survey of Craig Historical Museum collections, exhibit and storage conditions
– Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) for the University of Denver’s Laboratory of Anthropology
– Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) for Littleton Historical Museum
- Taught an introductory course on conservation and general preservation in the University of Denver’s Master’s of Museum Studies Program.
Denver, CO DENVER MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY (now Denver Museum of Science and Nature)
1993 – 1995 Associate Object Conservator
- Conducted object-specific and general surveys of storage and display environments in preparation for storage and exhibition upgrade. Upgraded storage and exhibit displays to meet conservation standards.
- Performed stabilization treatments on a wide variety of materials as part of a storage and display upgrade.
- Participated in integrated pest management for an active and large scale insect infestation of the DMNH Native American collection. The infestation was contained and 90% of the objects were treated between 1993 and 1995.
Santa Fe, NM MUSEUMS OF NEW MEXICO
Feb 1994 Contract Object Conservator
- Surveyed condition and designed travel and storage mount for the largest collection of Native American Kachina Dolls in preparation for moving collection to an upgraded storage facility.
Dearborn, MI HENRY FORD MUSEUM AND GREENFEILD VILLAGE
1991 -1992 Conservation Technician for the Collections Care Program
- Condition surveys of historic structures and specific objects.
- Supervised cleaning staff to dust collection objects and clean historic structures.
Chicago, IL FIELD MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
1989 – 1991 Anthropology Collections Assistant
- Retired to storage a large collection of Pacific Island and Oceanic artifacts from long-term display. This included transport, fabricating storage mounts, and registrarial documentation.
Buffalo, NY STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE AT BUFFALO
1994 Master of Arts and Certificate of Advanced Studies in Conservation
– Anthropologic Conservation, Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Harvard University Summer 1993
– Textile Conservation, Baltimore Museum of Art Summer 1992
Chicago, IL THE SCHOOL OF ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO
1989 Bachelor of Fine Arts
Paris, France FARREL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF ART
Exchange Student, Fall Semester 1988